What is ARTiculation?
ARTiculation Prize is a national public speaking competition, organised in association with The Roche Court Educational Trust. The competition encourages students, aged 16-19 years to engage with art and to develop their confidence and ability to express their opinions, thoughts and conclusions. Each student is invited to give a short talk on a work of art or architecture of their choice. Schools are required to hold Internal School Heats to select a student to represent their school at one of the seven regional heats take place around the country, with the Midlands event being held at The Barber Institute of Fine Art, Birmingham and the finals held at Clare College, Cambridge.
For more information please contact Catherine James, Education Assistant
T: 01922 654411
ARTiculation Discovery Day
Open to Key Stage 4 students aged 14-16 years, the Discovery Day is designed to develop and support students’ understanding and engagement with art.
Students will explore a selection of artworks from our collections to develop skills in critical thinking, visual analysis and public speaking. After interviewing Julie Brown, Collections Curator at The New Art Gallery Walsall and through personal observation, discussions and research from a range of provided source materials, students will deliver short group presentations to the workshop leaders in their groups. In preparation students will be introduced to tips on how to conquer nerves, physically prepare, and successfully deliver a presentation.
Why participate in an ARTiculation Discovery Day?
- Students engage in a process of research by learning through access to a range of primary and secondary source documents, including newspaper and web articles, archival documents, letters, books, etc., and interview techniques
- Develop students’ critical thinking skills and their literate and visual language
- Develop presentation skills and build confidence in public speaking
Discovery Days at regional galleries will take place on:
- Wolverhampton Art Gallery on Thursday 21 September, 10.30am – 4.30pm
- Herbert Art Gallery, Coventry on Monday 2 October, 10.30am – 3.30pm
- The New Art Gallery Walsall on Wednesday 18 October, 10am – 4.30pm
- Ikon Gallery, Birmingham on Tuesday 31 October, 10am – 3.30pm
To book your place at The New Art Gallery Walsall’s workshop on Wednesday 18 October 2017 or for further information, please contact Catherine James, Education Assistant
T: 01922 654411
Students taking part in the ARTiculation regional heat in February 2018, are invited to attend the ARTiculation Academy, taking place at Wolverhampton Art Gallery, Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, The New Art Gallery Walsall, Ikon Gallery and The Barber Institute of Fine Arts, in the lead up to the competition. Students will receive support, mentoring and coaching from gallery staff. The sessions are designed to help students develop their presentations in preparation for the regional heat, and increase confidence and public speaking skills.
For further information please contact Charlotte Stokes