Artists’ Fees: £1250 (each)
Materials/travel budget: £200 (each)
Application Deadline: 4 March, 5pm
Residency dates: 4 June–14 July
The New Art Gallery Walsall (TNAGW), Eastside Projects and Primary invite artists whose practice,
or proposal, has a focus on sculpture or installation in the broadest sense to apply for a Common
Artists who are either members of the ESP network or based in the East Midlands are eligible to
Common Ground aims to catalyse new relationships between artists and organisations in the East and
West Midlands. One West Midlands based ESP member and one artist based in the East Midlands
will work together in the Artists’ Studio at TNAGW from 4 June – 14 July, each supported by a fee of
£1250 and a materials/travel budget of £200. There is additional budget for accommodation for the
East Midlands based artist if required.
The residency coincides with TNAGW’s year-long celebration of sculpture in all its forms, marking the
60thanniversary of Sir Jacob Epstein’s death. This programme includes major solo presentations by
Daniel Silver and Amalia Pica, displays of contemporary sculpture from the Permanent Collection and
a Rodin Spotlight tour exhibition from the British Museum.
TNAGW and Eastside Projects have worked in partnership since 2012 to offer residency
opportunities that create space for artists to work together, make new work and develop new
networks, with previous residencies connecting practitioners based in the West Midlands, Bristol,
Liverpool and Cardiff. Common Ground is part of a new strand of activity initiated by Eastside
Projects and Primary which aims to strengthen networks across the East and West Midlands.
We support artists working with a range of practices and artistic approaches and welcome
applications from practitioners with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
• Application deadline 4 March, 5pm.
• Interviews mid-March
• Residency Period: 4 June–14 July
• Public presentation: 16 July–25 August – post residency presentation of work in progress,
viewed through the window of the studio.
• Shared use of the Artists’ Studio at TNAGW from 4 June – 14July.
• Access to TNAGW workshops and technical support, by arrangement with Head of Technical
• Studio visits/meetings with programming staff at TNAGW, Primary, Eastside Projects, and
one guest – selected through discussion with the artists.
• Fee £1250 (including VAT) per artist + £200 materials/travel
• Accommodation for East Midlands based artist if required
• Artists are expected to be present in the studio for at least 12 days (suggested as 2 days per
Application is by email only.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 4 March, 5pm and write
‘Common Ground’ in the email subject line.
1. Your name, address, phone number, email and website address.
2. An indication of whether you are an ESP member, or an artist based in the East Midlands, or
3. SAVED TOGETHER AS ONE PDF/.doc file
a. A short statement explaining why you want to undertake a Common Ground residency at
TNAGW and what you hope to gain by working in this context. 300 words max or a 5
b. An artist statement (200 words max)
c. An up to date CV
4. Evidence of your current and recent practice in the form of one of the following:
• A maximum of 10 images submitted via e-mail.
• A direct link to a showreel of film and video work (maximum duration 5 minutes) uploaded
to YouTube or Vimeo.
• Audio work (maximum duration 5 minutes) uploaded to Soundcloud or similar
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CLEARLY PROVIDE CORRECT PASSWORDS
5. Please also complete our equal opportunities survey which you will find at