The New Art Gallery Walsall to reopen
Following the recent government announcements easing lockdown, plans have been devised for a phased reopening of The New Art Gallery Walsall. The planning has been carefully focussed around the safety of both gallery staff and visitors.
The first phase of reopening is due to start on Wednesday 5 August with the following open:
- The Ground Floor Community Gallery with 20 for 2020, 20 works of art representing each year of the Gallery’s history. The exhibition includes works by Gavin Turk, Christopher Le Brun, Soheila Sokhanvari and Jane and Louise Wilson amongst many others.
- The renowned world class Garman Ryan Collection on the 1st and 2nd Floors, with Sarah Taylor Silverwood’s exhibition Kathleen and Sally series.
- The spacious shop, stocking a wide range of books as well as gifts, gallery souvenirs, arts supplies, greeting cards and stationary.Over the last few months the Gallery has been working hard to maintain a creative offer for audiences through enhanced online content and new digital programme initiatives. For children and families the Gallery has produced weekly online workshops based on works from current exhibitions and works from the Collections. These have had over 8000 views over four months. We were furthermore, selected to deliver the new, digitally available, Discover at Home Arts Award.
- “Our focus is on proceeding very carefully and safely, and staying in step with our neighbouring authorities. Gallery staff are adhering to official guidance and recommended best practice and risk assessments have taken place. We are adopting a phased approach and will seek to learn from our initial opening phase and the emerging national picture.”
- “We are delighted that the acclaimed New Art Gallery is reopening and are thrilled to welcome you back. We believe that arts and culture play a vital role in our emotional wellbeing and sense of community. Experiencing great art can be healing and we hope the gallery can offer a much needed space for reflection and inspiration.
- Councillor Garry Perry, Portfolio Holder for Community, Leisure and Culture said:
- Three Stay at Home residencies for artists based in the West Midlands were awarded and a new series of films entitled INSIGHTS has been launched to further connect audiences with artists. This has been in addition to regular posts across our social media platforms, with staff reminiscences of our past programme.
- Admission to the Gallery is free.
Please check the Gallery website www.thenewartgallerywalsall.org.uk for opening hours during the initial phased reopening.
Note to Editors:
The NAG is celebrating its 20th Birthday in 2020. Free admission.
For images, interview opportunities and further information, please contact Chris Wilkinson, Marketing Officer on 07846 692 667 or email Chris.firstname.lastname@example.org
Visiting The New Art Gallery Walsall
The New Art Gallery Walsall is situated in the heart of Walsall Town Centre, at the top of Park Street, along the main High Street, within easy walking distance from both the train and bus stations. The Gallery is situated opposite the Crown Wharf Retail Park, which includes local parking, retail outlets restaurants, Premier Inn hotel and The Light Cinema.
Further travel information can be found here: https://thenewartgallerywalsall.org.uk/visit/
The New Art Gallery Walsall is funded by revenue support from Walsall Council and the Arts Council England.
For more information visit thenewartgallerywalsall.org.uk