Join us for an Artist Led Tour & Recommended Reading discussion with Laura Onions, Matt Greenhill and Rachel Magdeburg, followed by Rachel’s workshop at 2pm.
Free. To Book call the Gallery on 01922 654400 or through Eventbrite
We all know 2020 was an ‘unprecedented’ and ‘tumultuous’ year (with ongoing repercussions…) However, it was a different experience for different people. Whether you were working from home or furloughed, homeschooling or keyworking, feeling lonely and isolated or embracing the change of pace and having more time for yourself, reconnecting with nature or connecting on Zoom. What got you through 2020?
Join artist Laura Onions, who will lead an informal discussion around the texts that inspired and helped her and other artists in The Twenty Twenty Collection get through Lockdown. Together, they created a ‘Recommended Reading’ list of 20 texts, which reflect themes including identity, resistance and difference.
Twenty texts were selected by Twenty Twenty Collection artists, which influenced or affected them over Lockdown. Excerpts of some of these will be read at this event, to prompt an informal discussion about particular aspects of this time, as well as taking a look at the artists’ work on display.
Some of the Recommended Books include:
- We Are Displaced,by Malala Yousafzai (Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 2019)
- Glitch Feminism: A Manifestoby Legacy Russell (Verso,2020)
- How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy by Jenny Odell (Melville House, 2019)
- The Story of the Emoji by Gavin Lucas (Prestel, 2016)
- Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
- On Care edited by Rebecca Jagoe and Sharon Kivland (Ma Bibliotheque, 2020)
- The Box Manby Kobe Abe (Penguin, 2020)
- Radical Happiness and Moments of Collective Joyby Lynne Segal (Verson, 2017)
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig (Penguin, 2020)
- The Secret Life of Treesby Colin Tudge (Penguin, 2005)
At 2pm Join Rachel Magdeburg for a painting on found objects workshop, and take inspiration from her painting ‘Expired’ in the Gallery’s Twenty Twenty Collection. Bring along an object or material of your choosing that you would like to paint, and recycle it into an artwork, in this experimental, improvised, intuitive and fun workshop. To book call the Gallery on 01922 654400 or register via Eventbrite
Find out more about the Twenty Twenty Collection here, including full information on the selected books in our online exhibition guide: